|
|
|
Site of Conaway School |
|
 |
CR 266 and CR 262, off FM 670 from Westbrook, Westbrook,
TX,
USA
Latitude & Longitude:
32° 17' 51.56971000008",
-101° 1' 31.1571900012"
|
|
|
|
Texas State Historical Marker |
In community opened in 1891 by settlers C.P. and Mattie Conaway. First 3-months session was held in 1896 for nine pupils from three families, in one-room building placed by Conaway south of his ranch house. After four terms he moved school a mile north to serve a larger area. Pupils sat on homemade benches, wrote on slates, dipped drinking water from a bucket. In 1906 many farmers settled nearby. Conaway gave this new site, helped raise $375; and with patrons' labor, a new schoolhouse was erected. As enrolment increased, three rooms were added. This building was destroyed by fire in 1929 and replaced by a 4-room brick structure with an auditorium. A water system using a well and windmill also replaced the bucket and dipper of earlier days. Throughout the years the school building was used for church services and other community activities. Many successful people, including teachers, doctors, lawyers, and religious leaders, began their courses of study at Conaway School. Peak enrolment of 115 was reached during the 10-months term of 1933-34. After 1936 upper grades were transferred by bus to Westbrook; consolidation was completed in 1939. The school building was sold and dismantled in 1947. (1972)
This page last updated: 7/15/2008 |
Site of Conaway School Historical Marker Location Map, Westbrook, Texas
|
|
|
|