|
|
|
Site of First Church in City of Friona |
|
 |
220 W 6th St., Friona,
TX,
USA
Latitude & Longitude:
34° 38' 10.73121",
-102° 43' 15.5260700004"
|
|
|
|
Texas State Historical Marker |
The city of Friona was founded in 1906 by George G. Wright Land Company of Kansas City, an agency employed by the XIT Ranch owners to sell their range lands in small tracts. Religious-minded settlers in 1908 organized the Union Congregational Church. Charter members included Mr. & Mrs. C. L. Fergus, Charles Karr, Mr. & Mrs. J. W. Karr, Walter Kell, William McCandlish, Mr. & Mrs. D. W. McMillen, Mr. & Mrs. Ross V. McWilliams, Mr. & Mrs. C. B. Oleson, Mr. & Mrs. John Orbaugh, Mr. & Mrs. Seth Roush, Bert Shattuck, Mrs. Nellie Shattuck, and A. N. Wentworth. George G. Wright donated six lots at this site and the Congregational Church Building Society of New York made a $770.00 construction grant. Friona's first church building, a frame structure with hand-painted, arched windows and a belfry, was completed and dedicated n May 23, 1909. The basement added in 1916 served as center for social activities. After that meetinghouse burned in 1921, this adobe chapel was built. It was used until the congregationalists in 1969 erected a sanctuary on a new site. In 1973, this building was given to the Girl Scouts to be used for their meeting hall and activities and for a Pioneer Heritage Chapel & Museum. (1975)
This page last updated: 7/15/2008 |
Site of First Church Historical Marker Location Map, City of Friona Historical Marker Location Map, Texas
|
|
|
|