|
|
|
Lombardy Irrigation Ditch |
|
 |
RR 2748 and 1120 intersection,, Rio Frio Community,
TX,
USA
Latitude & Longitude:
29° 38' 8.65530999996",
-99° 44' 12.41468999988"
|
|
|
|
Texas State Historical Marker |
Dug in 1868, in pick-and-shovel operation, by Lombardy Irrigation Company, whose officers were N. M. C. Patterson, W. F. Smith, and T. Watkins. Besides channeling water to irrigate over 800 acres, the 2-mile ditch furnished power for a cotton gin, and shingle, grist, and flour mills. The settlement which grew up in the area was known as The Ditch until a post office was established in 1875. It was then named Rio Frio (Cold River). For a century the ditch has irrigated lands of families of two original company officers. (1968)
This page last updated: 7/15/2008 |
Lombardy Irrigation Ditch Historical Marker Location Map, Rio Frio Community, Texas
|
|
|
|